The 2020 Arctic Summer School will be organized if number of participants exceeds 10 people.
Early bird registration is now open.
July 27th –
Arctic Summer School
The participation fee includes tuition, Arctic Summer School certificate, Transcript, lunch, accommodation, Russian as a Second Language course (10 hours in total), classes with field trips, tours and cultural activities.
The Arctic is a unified physiographic region of Earth, which, as most commonly stated, consists of territories of the North Pole, margins of Eurasia and North America, almost entirety of the Arctic Ocean and its islands (excluding coastal islands of Norway), and adjacent waters of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Total area – 27 million sq. km. According to another definition, the Arctic is a region that is located at the north of the North Circle (66°33′44″N) and its total area is 21 million sq. km.
Currently, all the countries that are interested in the Arctic pursue similar goals. Firstly, these are economic concerns, including concerns in natural resources, transport and logistics; secondly, geopolitical and military strategic concerns; thirdly, environmental and other scientific concerns, both fundamentally theoretical and practical.
Study about the Arctic in Yakutsk! As of May 13th 2019, 8 additional regions of Yakutia has been included in the Arctic zone of Russian Federation. In total all 13 Arctic regions of Yakutia are included in the Russian Arctic, which makes 49% of Yakutia’s territory belong to the Arctic zone.
The school program covers all areas of the interest on Yakutia’s and Russia’s Arctic. The lectures are provided by leading experts and government officials in the field.
Сredits: 4 ECTS
Number of participants (min-max): 10–20
Thematic issues of the Summer School:
Development of the Arctic Zone of the Russian Federation
- -What is the potential of developing new shipping corridors? Lectures on Northern sea root and visit to Zhatayskaya shipyard.
- -Arctic traffic infrastructure. How does Yakutia “live” by northern supply shipping?
- -Arctic tourism development. Why do people overcome thousands of kilometers to visit Yakutia and the coldest inhabited town on Earth - Oymyakon?
- -Why do we need to work together to achieve the common goal of fighting Climate Change? Scientific Cooperation in the Arctic.
Yakutia’s Regional Development
- -What prospects of resource development do we seek? Investment development in Yakutia.
- -Is it possible to revive the mammoth? Lectures and a tour at the NEFU Mammoth Museum.
- -What does the permafrost hold: danger or basis for life? The impact of ecosystem changes on the permafrost. Lectures and a tour at the Kingdom of Permafrost (tourist complex).
- -How to mine and produce the Yakutian diamond? Lectures from the Diamonds Studies course and a tour to a lapidary plant.
Yakut Ethnography and Indigenous Cultures
- -The culture and ethnography of the peoples of Yakutia, the multi-ethnicity of the population. Visits to Sakha village and Open-air museum “Friendship” in Sottintsy village.
- -Indigenous peoples’ culture. Celebration of the International Day of the Indigenous peoples.
- -What is the language situation in Yakutia?
- Intensive language courses to choose from: Elementary Intensive Russian, Intermediate Russian, Elementary Sakha Language
- Other interesting facts about Yakutia for consideration within the Summer School:
- Yakutia is at the same time #Siberia, the #North and the #Arctic
- Yakutia is the largest administrative-territorial unit in the world, equal in its area to five Frances, with three time zones
- Lena is the largest river in Eastern Siberia, the 11th longest river in the world and has the 9th largest watershed. It is also the 3rd largest river in Asia, the Yakutians call her a “foster– grandmother”
- Yakutian village Oymyakon is the coldest locality in the world
- Yakutsk is the biggest city built on continuous permafrost and the majority of buildings are constructed on concrete piles
- The unique Lena Pillars Nature Park is in the UNESCO World Heritage List
- Olonkho is a heroic epic tale of the Sakha people included in the UNESCO list of Masterpieces of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity
- Yakut language (Sakha) belongs to the Turkic group of languages
- There are unique, one of a kind institutions in Yakutsk: Permafrost Institute, Mammoth Museum, the International Center for Jaw Harp Music, and others.
- Yakutia is Russia’s main diamond mining territory, and includes the largest deposit of diamonds, it accounts for 80% of total Russian reserves.
- Lena River Trip to the Lena Pillars Nature Park UNESCO World Heritage
- Trip to the Friendship outdoor museum in Sottintsy village
- Field trip to Sakha village
- Treasury of Yakutia - Diamond Museum
- Kingdom of Permafrost
- Mammoth Museum
- Jew's Harp Music international center
- «Archy» house of yakut spirituality
- Museum of Political Exile
- Museum of traditional music and folklore
- Geological Museum
- Permafrost Museum
- Shared rooms with shower and rest room at the NEFU dormitory with Wi-Fi, gym, dining room, kitchen, reading room, washing machines.
- We kindly ask to respect the University policy: NEFU campus is alcohol- and smoking-free.
- It is strictly prohibited to keep, distribute or consume alcoholic beverages, including beer on campus and in dormitories.
- undergraduate and graduate students interested in the Arctic Issues, Yakut and Indigenous Cultures and Ethnography(issues of international cooperation, geography, biology, ecology, tourism, history, ethnography, anthropology, etc.)
- Language of instruction: English
- Lectures and seminars are in English or in Russian with English interpretation
- Arctic Summer School in Yakutsk is a wonderful opportunity to immerse yourself in a multicultural society of Yakutia in the North-Eastern Siberia. Witness the historic, social, economic and cultural changes, which occur in Yakutia at present.
- Tel. / Fax +7.4112.361453
- International Relations Office
- Ammosov North-Eastern Federal University
- 58 Belinsky St Yakutsk 677000 Russian Federation
- Online application: http://oas.s-vfu.ru/
950 EURO - STANDARD
750 EURO - PARTNER RATE