North-Eastern Federal University in Yakutsk (NEFU) is one of the ten Russian federal universities. Recent reforms in the Russian Federation have created a new network of federal universities. This trend towards integration and modernization in higher university education is typical of many countries. As international experience shows, additional financial support from government promotes the high quality of education and higher performance in international rankings. North-Eastern Federal University is to become a strategic center for the formation of a common cultural, scientific and educational space, based on the values of indigenous culture of the peoples of the northeast of Russia, providing quality personal education in a multiethnic environment. NEFU development program towards the year 2020, was approved by former Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin on October 7, 2010.
The following seven priority areas were identified in the Program:
- the new quality of the university;
- efficient environmental management and environmental security;
- efficient use of mineral resources;
- the use of science-based technologies and production in the North;
- the quality of life in the North;
- the preservation and development of languages and cultures;
- the analytical and personnel support for innovative social and economic development of the northeastern part of the Russian Federation.
In all areas of university activities large-scale transformations have been initiated, primarily to create a unified scientific and methodological foundation. A comprehensive plan for the transition to a two-level system of educational, scientific and methodical aspects of basic educational programs has been developed, innovative Master’s programs are ready for implementation, and all education departments are being restructured.